Moving Out Checklist
You’ve sold your house – congratulations! It’s time to think about closing on your sale and/or purchase. We’ve compiled a list of actions and steps to take to ensure you are set up for a successful move. We’re here to help every step of the way.
CONTACT A REAL ESTATE LAWYER
Hire a real estate lawyer to arrange for the closing of your home. If you need a recommendation for a good local real estate lawyer, we will happily send you names of local experts who have always come through for us.
FINANCING/ARRANGING A MORTGAGE
Your mortgage broker will walk you through the steps of refinancing, transferring or arranging a new mortgage for your new home. Your lawyer will eventually need your mortgage broker’s contact information to complete the closing for your home(s). If you need a recommendation for a mortgage broker, let us know.
Prior to closing, you will need to have home insurance arranged for your new home. Some things to consider when arranging home insurance: your lawyer will require a policy or written binder from your insurance agent prior to closing. This document sets out details of the insurance coverage, which must indicate loss is payable to the Mortgagee. In determining the proper amount of fire insurance to be placed, you should discuss with your agent what the replacement value for the dwelling will be. Also, ensure that coverage is inflation proof. The land cannot burn, but it may be much more expensive to replace a home than it was for the builder to have built it originally.
SET UP MAIL DELIVERY & FORWARDING SERVICE
- Canada Post
We highly recommend paying for Canada Post’s mail forwarding service:
Notify current utility companies of your move-out date and schedule a start-up service date for your new address.
- Electricity/Water: Oakville Hydro
- Natural Gas Service: Enbridge/Union Gas https://www.uniongas.com/residential/start-stop-move-service/current-customer/move-gas-service
- Telephone / Internet / Cable
Bell Canada: Call: 1-866-527-8771 or online at: https://www.bell.ca/moving-with-bell
Cogeco: Call: 1-855-701-4881 or online at: https://www.cogeco.ca/en/faq/what-steps-do-i-have-take-when-i-move-46056
Rogers: Call: 1-866-841-3705 or online at: https://www.rogers.com/consumer/support/moving-your-services
- Hot Water Tank / Furnace Rental
Reliance Home Comfort
Call: 1-866-764-8131 or https://reliancehomecomfort.com/oakville/move-request-form/
- Health Card & Driver’s License & Vehicle Permit
Online address change at: https://www.ontario.ca/page/change-address-drivers-licence-vehicle-permit-and-health-card
- EI, Old Age Security, Canada Pension Plan (If Applicable)
- Other Government Services
Check here of anything else applies to you: https://www.canada.ca/en/government/change-address.html
- Your Employer
- Finance Companies / Insurance Companies
- Credit Cards
- Insurance Companies (Car, Home, Life, Accident, Personal Property)
PERSONAL & PROFESSIONAL SERVICES
- Newspaper Subscriptions
- Magazine Subscriptions
MOVING DAY KEY TRANSFER
- Ensure that you have dropped off your house/mail keys and garage door opener to your lawyer so that they can be given to the new owner. Your lawyer may have a preferred way to do this.
- Find out from your lawyer when and how you will receive the keys to your new house.
If you need a recommendation for a home service or product provider of any kind, please let us know! We will happily provide you with the contact details of our personally tried & trusted professionals for any service/product you might need.